Justice Minister Gul says Turkey continues to wait for progress on extradition requests.
Turkey has so far sent seven extradition requests to the U.S. for the head of Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO), Fetullah Gulen, according to Justice Minister Abdulhamit Gul on Thursday.
Speaking before the parliament's Planning and Budget Committee in capital Ankara, Gul told lawmakers that Turkey was continuing with its efforts to extradite Gulen from the U.S.
The minister also said the judicial process against Gulen was continuing in Turkey.
Since Nov. 3, 2017, “seven extradition requests and a separate request for provisional arrest [for Gulen] have been sent to the U.S."
Gul added the Turkish nation was awaiting the extradition of Gulen as its legal right under international law and bilateral agreements.
"If necessary steps are not taken in this issue, it means a guilty person is being protected," the minister said.
Gulen has been a resident of the U.S. state of Pennsylvania for decades.
FETO and its U.S.-based leader Gulen orchestrated the defeated coup of July 15, 2016, which left 250 people martyred and nearly 2,200 injured in Turkey.
Ankara also accuses FETO of being behind a long-running campaign to overthrow the state through the infiltration of Turkish institutions, particularly the military, police, and judiciary.
Gul also warned against criticism of Turkey’s justice system.
"Whoever uses discreditable and confidence shaking remarks for our justice system, they should be careful about their actions."