- Always be aware of your surroundings.
- Do not blast your headphones as you run; make sure you can hear cars or other people coming.
- Carry a cell phone with you, or some change in order to make a call in case of an emergency.
- Try to walk or run in familiar areas, and avoid secluded areas.
- Run with a companion, especially at night.
- Wear bright colored clothing so you can be seen, especially by drivers.
- Walk or run facing traffic.
- Let someone know you are going for a walk or run; let them know the route you plan to take and inform them when you return.
Remember to be aware of your surroundings, and if you do get into trouble, notify a police officer immediately.
Charles J. Hynes